Serves 12 - Vegetarian, Gluten Free
7 SmartPoints® Per serving (1 wedge)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces light cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1 tablespoon low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 250ºF. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together ¾ cup of granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa in medium bowl. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Spoon onto prepared baking sheet and spread meringue into 8-inch circle to make “nest” with 1-inch-high edge. Bake 1½ hours. Turn oven off, and let cool in oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- With electric mixer on medium-speed, beat mascarpone, cream cheese, milk remaining 1½ tablespoons of granulated sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Spoon into center of meringue and spread evenly. Top with strawberries. Use vegetable peeler, shave chocolate over berries. Cut into 12 wedges and serve immediately.